- Rectovaginal fistula (RVF) may result from benign or malignant disease or iatrogenic causes.
- Diagnostic evaluation of RVF is based on history and examination and may be enhanced by radiological studies.
- Anal sphincter function is a key component in the evaluation and treatment of RVF.
- When infection complicates RVF, it must be resolved prior to definitive treatment of the fistula.
- Asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic RVF may not require intervention.
- RVF due to Crohn’s disease may, in some cases, be effectively managed with medical therapy alone.
- Surgical treatment of RVF is influenced by the etiology of the fistula, its location, the integrity of the anal sphincter, and if it is a primary or recurrent fistula.
- In some cases, the use of a well-vascularized soft-tissue flap and/or fecal diversion may be required to effectively manage the RVF.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Gurland, Brooke H, and Jon D Vogel. "Rectovaginal Fistula." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285007/all/Rectovaginal_Fistula.
Gurland BH, Vogel JD. Rectovaginal Fistula. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285007/all/Rectovaginal_Fistula. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Gurland, B. H., & Vogel, J. D. (2022). Rectovaginal Fistula. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285007/all/Rectovaginal_Fistula
Gurland BH, Vogel JD. Rectovaginal Fistula [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285007/all/Rectovaginal_Fistula.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Rectovaginal Fistula ID - 2285007 A1 - Gurland,Brooke, AU - Vogel,Jon, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285007/all/Rectovaginal_Fistula DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -