Dermatology and Pruritus Ani
- Pruritus ani often results in considerable emotional and physical distress and significantly affects the patient’s quality of life.
- A detailed and complete history and physical examination can help to identify a specific etiology in 75% of cases.
- Culture swabs and skin biopsy are important adjuncts to physical examination.
- In most cases, initial therapeutic approach is aimed at improvement of anal hygiene, dietary modification, and toileting habits.
- The patient’s expectations should be set to anticipate slow improvement of their symptoms.
- Various topical and systemic therapeutic modalities can be offered sequentially with emphasis on incremental improvement rather than complete resolution of symptoms.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Umanskiy, Konstantin, and Evangelos Messaris. "Dermatology and Pruritus Ani." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285009/all/Dermatology_and_Pruritus_Ani.
Umanskiy K, Messaris E. Dermatology and Pruritus Ani. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285009/all/Dermatology_and_Pruritus_Ani. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Umanskiy, K., & Messaris, E. (2022). Dermatology and Pruritus Ani. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285009/all/Dermatology_and_Pruritus_Ani
Umanskiy K, Messaris E. Dermatology and Pruritus Ani [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285009/all/Dermatology_and_Pruritus_Ani.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Dermatology and Pruritus Ani ID - 2285009 A1 - Umanskiy,Konstantin, AU - Messaris,Evangelos, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285009/all/Dermatology_and_Pruritus_Ani DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -