Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia
- Anal intraepithelial neoplasia is a dysplastic condition and is considered to be a premalignant stage of anal cancer.
- Its histologic and cellular findings mirror cervical dysplasia.
- Anal cytology is a useful tool to identify anal neoplasia in high-risk groups.
- When anal cytology is concerning, high-resolution anoscopy with targeted ablation of dysplasia is indicated.
- Treatment should be individualized according to the degree of dysplasia, risk factors, immune status, symptoms, and the likelihood of progression.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Gaertner, Wolfgang B, and Mukta K Krane. "Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285011/all/Anal_Intraepithelial_Neoplasia.
Gaertner WB, Krane MK. Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285011/all/Anal_Intraepithelial_Neoplasia. Accessed September 23, 2023.
Gaertner, W. B., & Krane, M. K. (2022). Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285011/all/Anal_Intraepithelial_Neoplasia
Gaertner WB, Krane MK. Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 September 23]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285011/all/Anal_Intraepithelial_Neoplasia.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Anal Intraepithelial Neoplasia ID - 2285011 A1 - Gaertner,Wolfgang, AU - Krane,Mukta, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285011/all/Anal_Intraepithelial_Neoplasia DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -