- The presacral (retrorectal) space is the location of a wide range of rare tumors with incidence as low as 1 in 40,000–60,000 hospital admissions. Discovery in asymptomatic patients is increasing due to expanded use of cross-sectional imaging.
- Advances in cross-sectional imaging and understanding of tumor biology have led to better outcomes for these challenging patients.
- MRI is the best imaging study to assist in diagnosis and operative planning.
- Most benign lesions have malignant potential and observation alone in some patients is acceptable when a dedicated surveillance protocol is in place.
- When performed appropriately and selectively, a CT-guided biopsy of the lesion may assist in management of solid and heterogeneous cystic lesions.
- The surgical principles that should guide a surgeon who manages these lesions are a function-sparing approach for benign lesions and an en bloc approach for malignant lesions.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: December 15, 2022
Kelley, Scott R, and Eric J Dozois. "Presacral Tumors." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285014/all/Presacral_Tumors.
Kelley SR, Dozois EJ. Presacral Tumors. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285014/all/Presacral_Tumors. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Kelley, S. R., & Dozois, E. J. (2022). Presacral Tumors. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285014/all/Presacral_Tumors
Kelley SR, Dozois EJ. Presacral Tumors [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285014/all/Presacral_Tumors.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Presacral Tumors ID - 2285014 A1 - Kelley,Scott, AU - Dozois,Eric, Y1 - 2022/12/15/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285014/all/Presacral_Tumors DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -