Large Bowel Obstruction
- Perforation associated with obstructing colonic neoplasms may either be at the site of the tumor or the cecum based on the law of Laplace.
- Sigmoid volvulus is usually best treated with endoscopic detorsion followed by sigmoid resection.
- Cecal volvulus is typically best managed with urgent right hemicolectomy.
- Neostigmine is often successful in the management of acute colonic pseudo-obstruction.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Feingold, Daniel L, and Fergal J Fleming. "Large Bowel Obstruction." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285033/all/Large_Bowel_Obstruction.
Feingold DL, Fleming FJ. Large Bowel Obstruction. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285033/all/Large_Bowel_Obstruction. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Feingold, D. L., & Fleming, F. J. (2022). Large Bowel Obstruction. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285033/all/Large_Bowel_Obstruction
Feingold DL, Fleming FJ. Large Bowel Obstruction [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285033/all/Large_Bowel_Obstruction.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Large Bowel Obstruction ID - 2285033 A1 - Feingold,Daniel, AU - Fleming,Fergal, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285033/all/Large_Bowel_Obstruction DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -