- Endoscopic examination is essential in the evaluation of patients with colorectal complaints and is a key component of a complete colorectal examination.
- Physical examination, anoscopy, rigid proctoscopy, and flexible sigmoidoscopy are components of the exam that can easily be performed in the office setting to evaluate complaints arising from the anus, rectum, and rectosigmoid colon.
- Colonoscopy allows for complete evaluation of the entire colon and rectum, as well as the terminal ileum.
- Multiple regimens for bowel preparation prior to colonoscopy exist, and the endoscopist should be aware of the differences. A split-dose prep has been shown to be more effective than a single-dose prep.
- The endoscopist should be familiar with sedation regimens for endoscopy, including possible adverse effects.
- A number of adjunctive maneuvers for difficult exams and alternative techniques to improve the quality of endoscopy can be employed.
- The endoscopist should be able to recognize and manage complications of endoscopic procedures and employ appropriate measures to prevent their occurrence.
- Quality measures to ensure adequacy of colonoscopic examinations include adenoma detection rate and withdrawal time.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Zelhart, Matthew D, and Brian R Kann. "Endoscopy." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285034/all/Endoscopy.
Zelhart MD, Kann BR. Endoscopy. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285034/all/Endoscopy. Accessed September 24, 2023.
Zelhart, M. D., & Kann, B. R. (2022). Endoscopy. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285034/all/Endoscopy
Zelhart MD, Kann BR. Endoscopy [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 September 24]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285034/all/Endoscopy.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Endoscopy ID - 2285034 A1 - Zelhart,Matthew, AU - Kann,Brian, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285034/all/Endoscopy DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -