Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis
- The goal of medical therapy for ulcerative colitis is steroid-free clinical remission with mucosal healing.
- 5-ASA medications are the first-line treatment for low-risk patients with mild-to-moderate UC.
- IV corticosteroids are first-line treatment for severe UC flare-ups requiring hospitalization.
- Cyclosporin and infliximab are appropriate second-line agents for patients with steroid refractory severe acute colitis.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Lightner, Amy L, and Scott A Strong. "Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285040/all/Medical_Management_of_Ulcerative_Colitis.
Lightner AL, Strong SA. Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285040/all/Medical_Management_of_Ulcerative_Colitis. Accessed September 23, 2023.
Lightner, A. L., & Strong, S. A. (2022). Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285040/all/Medical_Management_of_Ulcerative_Colitis
Lightner AL, Strong SA. Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 September 23]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285040/all/Medical_Management_of_Ulcerative_Colitis.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Medical Management of Ulcerative Colitis ID - 2285040 A1 - Lightner,Amy, AU - Strong,Scott, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285040/all/Medical_Management_of_Ulcerative_Colitis DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -