- Preoperative stoma site marking and patient education improve stoma-related clinical outcomes, patient quality of life and experience, while decreasing healthcare resource utilization.
- The finished stoma should protrude from the skin, thereby improving the seal between the appliance and the peristomal skin and decreasing complications.
- Optimal care for patients undergoing ostomy surgery includes preoperative and postoperative care by an ostomy nurse specialist, such as a WOCN-certified nurse.
- Early stoma-related complications such as leakage, peristomal dermatitis, and dehydration can often be remedied with stoma care and patient education.
- Loop ileostomy is preferred over transverse loop colostomy for temporary fecal diversion in most circumstances.
- Stapled and hand-sutured techniques are both acceptable for loop ileostomy closure.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
McGee, Michael F, and Peter A Cataldo. "Intestinal Stomas." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285050/all/Intestinal_Stomas.
McGee MF, Cataldo PA. Intestinal Stomas. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285050/all/Intestinal_Stomas. Accessed December 9, 2023.
McGee, M. F., & Cataldo, P. A. (2022). Intestinal Stomas. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285050/all/Intestinal_Stomas
McGee MF, Cataldo PA. Intestinal Stomas [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285050/all/Intestinal_Stomas.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Intestinal Stomas ID - 2285050 A1 - McGee,Michael, AU - Cataldo,Peter, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285050/all/Intestinal_Stomas DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -