Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients
- Patients undergoing elective abdominal colorectal operations are in the “intermediate” risk group for perioperative morbidity and mortality.
- Recognition and optimization of concomitant patient pathophysiology are paramount in minimizing sepsis (anastomotic leak, surgical site infection), complications, and overall morbidity.
- These include cardiopulmonary, renal, metabolic, and endocrine physiology and other pathophysiologic risk factors and derangements (such as frailty and immunosuppression).
- Implementation of ACC/AHA guidelines and evidence-based medical management leads to improved efficiencies with minimization of extraneous testing and delays, while preserving low complication rates.
- Corticosteroids and immunosuppression remain significant determinants of morbidity in patients undergoing intestinal colorectal surgery.
- Prehabilitation of the frail and elderly patient is critical in optimizing patients for surgery while attempting to mitigate perioperative morbidity and mortality.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Landmann, Ron G, and Todd D Francone. "Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285056/all/Preoperative_Evaluation_in_Colorectal_Patients.
Landmann RG, Francone TD. Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285056/all/Preoperative_Evaluation_in_Colorectal_Patients. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Landmann, R. G., & Francone, T. D. (2022). Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285056/all/Preoperative_Evaluation_in_Colorectal_Patients
Landmann RG, Francone TD. Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285056/all/Preoperative_Evaluation_in_Colorectal_Patients.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Preoperative Evaluation in Colorectal Patients ID - 2285056 A1 - Landmann,Ron, AU - Francone,Todd, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285056/all/Preoperative_Evaluation_in_Colorectal_Patients DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -