Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS)
- Significant alteration in bowel function altering a patient’s quality of life commonly occurs after restorative proctectomy or low anterior bowel resection. This has been termed low anterior resection syndrome (LARS).
- Using a Delphi analysis, experts including patients with LARS have been able to describe the condition as eight symptoms and five consequences.
- No standardized tool exists that determines its severity. Careful questioning starting around 3 months after establishment of intestinal continuity is important to determine treatment options.
- It is important to determine if correctable problems that can mimic LARS are leading to these symptoms.
- Treatment starts with setting expectations, educating patients, and evaluating treatment outcomes. This involves a systematic incremental approach to treatment with precise written instructions and monitoring results.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Bordeianou, Liliana, and Craig A Messick. "Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS)." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285059/all/Low_Anterior_Resection_Syndrome__LARS_.
Bordeianou L, Messick CA. Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS). ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285059/all/Low_Anterior_Resection_Syndrome__LARS_. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Bordeianou, L., & Messick, C. A. (2022). Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS). In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285059/all/Low_Anterior_Resection_Syndrome__LARS_
Bordeianou L, Messick CA. Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS) [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285059/all/Low_Anterior_Resection_Syndrome__LARS_.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Low Anterior Resection Syndrome (LARS) ID - 2285059 A1 - Bordeianou,Liliana, AU - Messick,Craig, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285059/all/Low_Anterior_Resection_Syndrome__LARS_ DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -