Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women
- When considering pelvic cancer in women, the focus has traditionally been on curing the cancer. As therapy has improved and there are more long-term survivors, sexual function and its impact on quality of life has become a key concern of these women.
- Pelvic surgical dissection in women for benign conditions like inflammatory bowel disease can also severely affect postoperative sexual function and affect quality of life.
- Measuring female sexual function can be challenging. The Pelvic Floor Disorders Consortium (PFDC) Working Group (which includes many members from the American Society of Colorectal Surgeons) is a cross-disciplinary collaboration that has evaluated these questionnaires and published recommendations on their use.
- Depending on individual patient’s needs, a multidisciplinary approach to improving quality of life for this group of patients is recommended. The team may include the colorectal surgeon; psychologist, psychiatrist, or appropriate counselor; sex therapist; pelvic floor physical therapist; oncologist; radiation oncologist; geriatrician; nutritionist; and exercise physiotherapist.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Keller, Deborah S, and Jenny A Ky-Miyasaka. "Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285060/all/Sexual_Function_After_Colorectal_Surgery_in_Women.
Keller DS, Ky-Miyasaka JA. Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285060/all/Sexual_Function_After_Colorectal_Surgery_in_Women. Accessed June 8, 2023.
Keller, D. S., & Ky-Miyasaka, J. A. (2022). Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285060/all/Sexual_Function_After_Colorectal_Surgery_in_Women
Keller DS, Ky-Miyasaka JA. Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 June 08]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285060/all/Sexual_Function_After_Colorectal_Surgery_in_Women.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Sexual Function After Colorectal Surgery in Women ID - 2285060 A1 - Keller,Deborah, AU - Ky-Miyasaka,Jenny, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285060/all/Sexual_Function_After_Colorectal_Surgery_in_Women DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -