- This textbook is dedicated to improving the quality of care provided to individual patients suffering from diseases of the small intestine, colon, rectum, and anus. That care does not occur in a vacuum, but within an incredibly complex healthcare economic environment.
- Decisions made by healthcare systems, insurers, employers, government agencies, pharmaceutical companies, medical device manufacturers, professional societies, and individual providers can often be understood only when viewed in the context of the entire system.
- Our patients make healthcare decisions, including whether, when, and where to seek care, from the perspective of their individual healthcare economic realities.
- This chapter will provide an overview of the complex healthcare environment in which we work, the issues that fuel the healthcare reform discussion, and the current payment system under which US surgeons are compensated.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Peters, Walter R, and Teresa deBeche-Adams. "Healthcare Economics." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285065/all/Healthcare_Economics.
Peters WR, deBeche-Adams T. Healthcare Economics. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285065/all/Healthcare_Economics. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Peters, W. R., & deBeche-Adams, T. (2022). Healthcare Economics. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285065/all/Healthcare_Economics
Peters WR, deBeche-Adams T. Healthcare Economics [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285065/all/Healthcare_Economics.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Healthcare Economics ID - 2285065 A1 - Peters,Walter, AU - deBeche-Adams,Teresa, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285065/all/Healthcare_Economics DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -