- The Donabedian structure/process/outcomes model is a useful paradigm for categorizing and conceptualizing different approaches to measuring quality.
- Process measures are preferable to outcome measures when there is clear evidence supporting a particular clinical activity and when there is a related gap in care delivery.
- Outcome measures are highly valid, but often do not generate a clear path for quality improvement; they are most useful in situations of high complexity where clear standards are not well established.
- Administrative data and registry data can yield very different measurements of quality, and leaders in surgical quality should be familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of these two types of data.
- A broad range of nontraditional measurements of quality are on the horizon, including patient-reported outcomes, patient satisfaction, and return to health.
- Accreditation programs such as the National Accreditation Program for Rectal Cancer (NAPRC) have an important potential role in improving quality of care by improving the structure of care delivery throughout the country.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: December 14, 2022
Wick, Elizabeth C, and David A Etzioni. "Quality." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285069/all/Quality.
Wick EC, Etzioni DA. Quality. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285069/all/Quality. Accessed September 24, 2023.
Wick, E. C., & Etzioni, D. A. (2022). Quality. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285069/all/Quality
Wick EC, Etzioni DA. Quality [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 September 24]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285069/all/Quality.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Quality ID - 2285069 A1 - Wick,Elizabeth, AU - Etzioni,David, Y1 - 2022/12/14/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285069/all/Quality DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -