- Anastomotic construction represents a fundamental and essential skill restoring intestinal continuity and preserving bowel function and continence.
- It encompasses a broad range of methods and configurations and can be performed utilizing a spectrum of operative platforms.
- While anastomosis may be a heterogeneous endeavor, consistent fundamental principles must be preserved in all its forms.
- Stapling technologies represent a challenge for surgeon knowledge and understanding their use in clinical practice given the numerous innovations and specific tissue–device interactions.
- Colonic mobilization techniques bringing bowel into proximity to the distal limb while preserving blood supply represents an essential and critical skill for anastomotic construction. Surgeons must be familiar with advanced techniques for mobilization to achieve anastomosis.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Vargas, H. D, and David A Margolin. "Anastomotic Construction." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285072/all/Anastomotic_Construction.
Vargas HD, Margolin DA. Anastomotic Construction. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285072/all/Anastomotic_Construction. Accessed December 9, 2023.
Vargas, H. D., & Margolin, D. A. (2022). Anastomotic Construction. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285072/all/Anastomotic_Construction
Vargas HD, Margolin DA. Anastomotic Construction [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 December 09]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285072/all/Anastomotic_Construction.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Anastomotic Construction ID - 2285072 A1 - Vargas,H., AU - Margolin,David, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285072/all/Anastomotic_Construction DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -