- Hemorrhoids represent a sizeable source of patient morbidity, with a broad array of associated symptoms.
- Knowledge of anorectal and hemorrhoid anatomy is critical to selecting the appropriate treatment.
- Minimizing straining, improving hydration, and increasing fiber intake are the first step for patients with symptomatic hemorrhoids.
- Most office procedures are best suited for symptomatic grade I–III internal hemorrhoids or thrombosed external hemorrhoids.
- One’s armamentarium should include a variety of techniques for symptomatic hemorrhoids to optimize outcomes and provide individualized therapy.
- Complications of hemorrhoid surgery include urinary retention, bleeding, infection, stenosis, incontinence, and recurrence.
- Special considerations include pregnant patients, as well as those with Crohn’s disease, immunocompromise, or portal hypertension.
There's more to see -- the rest of this topic is available only to subscribers.
Last updated: January 26, 2022
Davids, Jennifer S, and Timothy J Ridolfi. "Hemorrhoids." ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery, 2022. ASCRS U, www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285079/all/Hemorrhoids.
Davids JS, Ridolfi TJ. Hemorrhoids. ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2022. https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285079/all/Hemorrhoids. Accessed June 8, 2023.
Davids, J. S., & Ridolfi, T. J. (2022). Hemorrhoids. In ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285079/all/Hemorrhoids
Davids JS, Ridolfi TJ. Hemorrhoids [Internet]. In: ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery. ; 2022. [cited 2023 June 08]. Available from: https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285079/all/Hemorrhoids.
* Article titles in AMA citation format should be in sentence-case
TY - ELEC T1 - Hemorrhoids ID - 2285079 A1 - Davids,Jennifer, AU - Ridolfi,Timothy, Y1 - 2022/01/26/ BT - ASCRS Textbook of Colon and Rectal Surgery UR - https://www.ascrsu.com/ascrs/view/ASCRS-Textbook-of-Colon-and-Rectal-Surgery/2285079/all/Hemorrhoids DB - ASCRS U DP - Unbound Medicine ER -