The ASCRS Toolkit is a collection of resources developed by the members of the American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (ASCRS) and are made available at no cost to the public.
The role of the Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee focuses primarily on the creation of practice parameters for various procedures to assist physicians in caring for patients with colon and rectal disease. The clinical practice guidelines provided here have been published in the ASCRS scientific journal Diseases of the Colon and Rectum.
ASCRS teamed up with experts from multiple subspecialties and societies to create an inclusive Pelvic Floor Disorders Consortium. The Pelvic Floor Disorders Consortium (PFDC) aims to enhance the care of patients with pelvic floor disorders by promoting a scientifically sound, streamlined and multidisciplinary approach towards their care. The Pelvic Floor Disorders Consortium works with appropriate committees representing a variety of disciplines involved in the care of patients with pelvic floor disorders, including the ASCRS Research Foundation, the ASCRS Executive Council and the ASCRS Steering Committee on Pelvic Floor Disorders. PFDC works to promote the care of patients with pelvic floor disorders, create and evaluate educational programs, clinical guidelines and algorithms of care. PFDC proposes to achieve these tasks through clinical collaboration, multidisciplinary consensus and research.
Selected presentations from the ASCRS Annual Scientific Meetings.
The Quality and Safety Committee monitors activities of various national and international societies and publications that shape the quality standards for colon and rectal surgery. The committee is dedicated to educating ASCRS membership on optimizing the consistent application of goals and standards for the safe and high-quality treatment of colon and rectal surgery patients.
The Video Based Education Channel includes videos from trending educational topics and Diseases of the Colon and Rectum (DC&R)/ASCRS peer reviewed video library.
Presented by the ASCRS IBD Committee
Advances in care for patients with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in recent years has led to significant improvements in patient outcomes. However, it remains a complex, multi-disciplinary enterprise requiring an ongoing commitment to innovation and review of outcomes. A number of areas in surgical and medical-surgical care for these patients remain controversial with slow rates of adoption. The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery (ASCRS) and its Inflammatory Bowel Disease Committee have been an integral part in promotion and implementation of best care for IBD patients. Following is a moderated series of debates by experts in the field. Utilizing the Lincoln-Douglas style of debate, these videos break down the pros and cons of each of these difficult topics to help practitioners with decision making.
Moderators: Sergey Khaitov, MD; Stefan Holubar, MD; Vitaliy Poylin, MD
The program is intended for the education of colon and rectal surgeons, gastroenterologists, colorectal fellows in training, and gastroenterologist fellows in training.
© 2022 American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons. All rights reserved.
Unbound™ software platform
© 2000-2022 Unbound Medicine, Inc. All rights reserved.
Notices and Disclaimers
The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (“ASCRS,” “we,” “us,” or “our”) hereby provides you access to and use of the ASCRS U – ASCRS Toolkit, including the technology and information it incorporates (“Service”), on the following terms and conditions (collectively, “Terms”).
THESE TERMS GOVERN YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICES. THESE TERMS CONTAIN VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING YOUR RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS, AS WELL AS CONDITIONS, LIMITATIONS, AND EXCLUSIONS THAT MIGHT APPLY TO YOU. PLEASE READ THESE TERMS CAREFULLY.
THESE TERMS TAKE EFFECT WHEN you use the Service. BY DOING SO, YOU: (I) ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND THESE TERMS; (II) REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOU HAVE THE RIGHT, POWER, AND AUTHORITY TO ENTER INTO THESE TERMS; AND (III) ACCEPT THESE TERMS AND AGREE THAT YOU ARE LEGALLY BOUND BY THESE TERMS.
If you do not accept these Terms, you may not access or use the Service.
ASCRS is providing you access to and use of the Service pursuant to an agreement between ASCRS and Unbound Medicine Inc. (“Unbound Medicine”).
- Changes to these Terms. We are entitled to revise and update these Terms from time to time, in our discretion. All changes are effective immediately when we post them and apply to all access and use of the Service thereafter. Your continued use of the Service following the posting of revised Terms, means you accept and agree to the changes. You are expected to check this page each time you access the Service to ensure you are aware of any changes.
- Access and Use.
2.1.Service Access and Use Limited License. Subject to and conditioned on your acceptance and compliance with these Terms, ASCRS and Unbound Medicine hereby grant you a limited, personal, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-assignable license to access and use the Service, for your own personal, non-commercial use.
2.2. Access and Use Restrictions. You may not:
(i) Distribute, create derivative works based upon, publicly display, publicly perform, lease, license, rent, sell, re-sell, modify, export, assign, or otherwise transfer all or any part of the Service;
(ii) Provide access to the Service or otherwise make the Service available, in whole or in part, to any individual or entity;
(iii) Allow any individual or entity to use the Service in whole or in part;
(iv) Access or use the Service to develop or assist others with the development of other goods or services or for purposes of competitive analysis;
(v) Delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from the Service;
(vi) Circumvent any copy protection, rights management, or security features in or protecting the Service;
(vii) Reverse engineer, disassemble, decompile, decode, adapt, otherwise attempt to derive or gain access to the source code of the Service;
(viii) Introduce into or activate any malicious or technologically harmful material within the Service;
(ix) Use any robot, spider, or other automatic means to access the Service for any purpose, including monitoring or copying all or any part of the Service or Reports;
(x) Access or use the Service in any manner that infringes, misappropriates, or otherwise violates any intellectual property right or other right of any individual or entity, or that violates any applicable law, regulation, or rule;
(xi) Interfere with the proper working of the Service; or
(xii) Otherwise access or use the Service beyond the scope of the limited access and use rights granted to you in Section 2.1, or in any manner that is inconsistent with these Terms.
3. Intellectual Property Rights. You acknowledge and agree that the Service and any necessary software used in connection with the Service, including, without limitation, the text, sound, photographs, video, graphics, trademarks, and other material contained in or presented to you as part of the Service (“Content”), consist of proprietary and confidential information that is protected by applicable intellectual property and other laws. All Content is the intellectual property of its respective owners and is protected under state and federal law, as well as international treaties and the copyright laws of other countries. You may not copy, reproduce, distribute or create derivative works based on the Content, in whole or in part. No right, title, or interest to the Content, or the Content’s associated intellectual property rights, are assigned or transferred to you. All rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by Unbound Medicine and its suppliers and ASCRS.
4. Accessing the Service. The Service is only available online at ascrsu.com. You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to securely access and use the Service, including by maintaining necessary equipment and internet access.
5. Support, Updates, Maintenance, Alterations, Suspension, and Withdrawal. ASCRS is entitled, but is not obligated, to provide support for the Service. For support inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Unbound Medicine has no obligation to provide support, nor are either Unbound Medicine or ASCRS obligated to update or provide maintenance for the Service. ASCRS is entitled to alter, suspend, or withdraw the Service in whole or in part, at any time, for any period, for any reason or no reason, with or without notice, in its discretion.
We reserve the right to withdraw or amend the Service, in our discretion, without notice. We will not be liable if, for any reason, all or any part of the Service is unavailable at any time or for any period of time. From time to time, we may restrict your access to some parts or all of the Service.
6. Other Terms and Conditions. In addition to the Service, ASCRS offers other educational and professional products, services, courses, events, and websites. These Terms govern your access to, and use of, the Service. Other ASCRS products, services, courses, events, and websites are subject to different terms and conditions. Before accessing and using any ASCRS products, services, courses, events, or websites, you are strongly encouraged to read the applicable terms and conditions.
7. Mobile Communications. You will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining any equipment or ancillary services needed to connect, access, or otherwise use the Service, including, without limitation, hardware devices, software, and other internet, wireless, broadband, phone or other mobile communication device connection services. You will be responsible for ensuring that such equipment or ancillary services are compatible with the Service, and you will be responsible for all charges incurred in connection with use of the Service with all such equipment and ancillary services. Please note that by accessing and using the Service via mobile devices, or by using certain mobile features, you may incur fees from the provider or carrier of the mobile services that you use, and you are solely responsible for the payment of such fees. Unbound Medicine and ASCRS do not promote, recommend or condone use of the Service during certain activities, such as automobile driving, where there is risk of accident, personal injury, property damage or death. You agree not to use the Service during such activities, and warrant, represent and certify that you will not do so.
8. Links. The Service may contain, and Unbound Medicine or ASCRS may otherwise provide, links to sites or resources provided by third parties as part of the Service. Unbound Medicine and ASCRS do not control these sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them, including any data, software or other content available from such sites or resources. You acknowledge and agree that Unbound Medicine and ASCRS shall not be liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss relating to your access to, use of, or reliance on these sites and resources.
9. Export. You may not download or otherwise export or re-export any underlying software, technology or other information from the Service except in full compliance with all U.S. and other applicable laws and regulations. In particular, but without limitation, none of the underlying information or technology may be downloaded or otherwise exported or re-exported (i) into (or to a national or resident of) Cuba, North Korea, Iran, Syria, Crimea Region of Ukraine, Sudan or any other country to which the U.S. has embargoed goods or (ii) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department’s list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department’s or State Department’s Table of Denial Orders. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless and defend ASCRS and Unbound Medicine against any and all liability arising from or relating to your breach of this Section.
10. Disclaimer of Warranties. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE SERVICE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. UNBOUND MEDICINE AND ASCRS MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICE WILL MEET YOUR OR ANY OTHER PERSON’S REQUIREMENTS OR THAT USE OF THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, TIMELY, SECURE OR ERROR FREE; NOR DO UNBOUND MEDICINE OR ASCRS MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SERVICE OR THE ACCURACY OR RELIABILITY OF ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE (INCLUDING THIRD-PARTY CONTENT) OR THAT ANY DEFECTS IN THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED. UNBOUND MEDICINE AND ITS SUPPLIERS, AND ASCRS, DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED OR STATUTORY REGARDING THE SERVICE, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, MERCHANTIBILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT OF THIRD-PARTY RIGHTS. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY MATERIAL OR DATA OBTAINED THROUGH USE OF THE SERVICE IS AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK AND THAT YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY RESULTING DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA.
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT THE SERVICE MAY INCORPORATE DATABASES OR PORTIONS OF DATABASES OF THE NATIONAL LIBRARY OF MEDICINE (“NLM”). PURSUANT TO THE NLM LICENSE, UNBOUND MEDICINE HAS THE RIGHT TO COPY AND DISTRIBUTE CONTENT FROM THE NLM, AS WELL AS DEVELOP DERIVATIVE WORKS THEREOF. IN CONSIDERATION FOR THIS LICENSE, UNBOULD MEDICINE INFORMS YOU THAT:
“NLM REPRESENTS THAT THE DATA PROVIDED UNDER THIS AGREEMENT WAS FORMULATED WITH A REASONABLE STANDARD OF CARE. EXCEPT FOR THIS REPRESENTATION, AND AS OTHERWISE SPECIFICALLY PROVIDED IN THIS AGREEMENT, NLM MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED; THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE NLM DATABASES, AND NLM SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIMS ANY SUCH WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS.”
11. Medical Disclaimers. THE SERVICE MAY CONTAIN KNOWLEDGE BASES THAT INCLUDE A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF COMMON DISEASES, AS WELL AS SOME RARE DISEASES, BUT SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE DUE TO A NUMBER OF POSSIBLE CAUSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO: A LACK OF COMPLETE COVERAGE OF ALL SIGNS; SYMPTOMS AND LABORATORY TESTS AND ALL POSSIBLE DISEASE ENTITIES; THE INABILITY OF THE SERVICE TO ACCEPT THE USER’S DESCRIPTION OF SIGNIFICANT CLINICAL FINDINGS; THE FAILURE OF THE SERVICE TO CONSIDER THE UNDERLYING RELATION BETWEEN THE CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS AND THE DISEASE ENTITIES; THE INADEQUACY OF THE SERVICE TO COPE WITH ALL OF THE VARIATIONS IN THE WAY THAT A DISEASE CAN PRESENT AS A RESULT OF DIFFERENT DISEASE SEVERITY; THE PRESENCE OF A SECOND INTERACTING DISEASE; THE FAILURE TO INCLUDE THE APPROPRIATE RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN THE CLINICAL MANIFESTATIONS AND THE DISEASE ENTITY; OR COMPUTER OR HUMAN ERROR. BECAUSE OF THESE FACTORS, IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THE SERVICE BE USED ONLY AS A REFERENCE TOOL, SIMILAR TO THE USE OF A HARD COPY TEXTBOOK OR A JOURNAL ARTICLE AND THAT THE SERVICE NOT BE USED AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PHYSICIAN, NURSE PRACTITIONER, OR OTHER LICENSED HEALTH CARE WORKER DIAGNOSTIC DECISION MAKING. THE SERVICE IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE THE “RIGHT ANSWER” OR TO GIVE DEFINITIVE MEDICAL CONSULTATION. THE SERVICE IS A MEDICAL REFERENCE AND SHALL NOT BE USED AS A DIAGNOSTIC DECISION-MAKING SYSTEM AND MUST NOT BE USED TO REPLACE OR OVERRULE A PHYSICIAN’S JUDGMENT OR A PHYSICIAN’S DIAGNOSIS.
12. Indemnification. You shall defend and indemnify Unbound Medicine, ASCRS, and their respective executive council, directors, officers, employees, volunteers, agents, representatives, contractors, suppliers, successors, and assigns (collectively, “Indemnified Persons”) to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law against all losses, liabilities, demands, claims, and actions, including, reasonable attorneys’ fees and other expenses (collectively, “Claims”) made by any third party arising out of or related to your: (i) acts or omissions; (ii) breach of these Terms; (iii) violation of applicable law; and/or (iv) access to or use of the Service.
13. Limitation of Liability. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT UNBOUND MEDICINE AND ITS SUPPLIERS, AND ASCRS, AND THEIR OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, COUNCIL MEMBERS, EMPLOYEES, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AGENTS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOST DATA OR LOST PROFITS ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO: (i) YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR USE OF THE SERVICE THROUGH YOUR ACCOUNT BY ANYONE ELSE; (ii) THE COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE DATA, INFORMATION OR SERVICES; (iii) UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR ALTERATION OF YOUR TRANSMISSIONS OR DATA; OR (iv) ANY OTHER MATTER RELATING TO THE SERVICE. UNBOUND MEDICINE’S AND ASCRS’ TOTAL CUMULATIVE LIABILITY TO YOU AND ANYONE WHO USES THE SERVICE THROUGH YOUR ACCOUNT, FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS UNDER ANY THEORY OF LAW, WILL NOT EXCEED THE HIGHER OF THE FEES YOU PAID FOR THE SERVICE OR $10.
14. Term and Termination. As discussed above, these Terms take effect when you use the Service. Your right to access and use the Service automatically terminates if you violate these Terms. In addition, ASCRS may terminate or suspend your access to or use of the Service with or without cause, with or without notice, at any time, in its discretion.
15. Injunctive Relief. You acknowledge that your breach of these Terms would give rise to irreparable harm to ASCRS for which monetary damages would not be an adequate remedy and in the event of such a breach or a threatened breach by you of these Terms, in addition to any and all other rights and remedies that may be available to ASCRS under these Terms, at law, or in equity, or otherwise, ASCRS is entitled to equitable relief, including a temporary restraining order, and injunction, and any other relief that may be available from a court having jurisdiction, without any requirement to: (i) post a bond or other security; or (ii) prove actual damage or that monetary damages will not afford an adequate remedy.
16. Cumulative Remedies. ASCRS’ rights and remedies provided in these Terms are cumulative and not exclusive, and ASCRS’ exercise of any right or remedy does not preclude ASCRS’ exercise of any other rights or remedies that may now or subsequently be available to ASCRS at law, in equity, by statute, by contract, or otherwise.
17. Force Majeure. We will not be liable or responsible to you, nor be deemed to have defaulted or breached these Terms, for any failure or delay in our performance under these Terms, when and to the extent such failure or delay is caused by or results from acts beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation, acts of God, explosion, national emergency, civil unrest, telecommunication breakdown, or power outage.
18. No Third-Party Beneficiaries. These Terms do not and are not intended to confer any rights or remedies upon any person other than you.
19. Assignment. You may not assign or transfer your rights under this Agreement without the prior written consent of ASCRS. ASCRS may assign all rights and liabilities under this Agreement to an affiliate or successor to all or a substantial part of its business and assets without your consent. Subject to the foregoing, this Agreement will inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the successors and permitted assigns of the parties.
20. Governing Law and Choice of Forum. The laws of the State of Illinois, excluding its conflict of law rules, govern these Terms. You and ASCRS shall institute any action arising out of or relating to these Terms, the Service, or your access or use or inability to access or use the Service, in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, or in the state courts located in Cook County, Illinois. You and ASCRS submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of these courts.
21. Waiver. No waiver by ASCRS or Unbound Medicine of any term or condition stated in these Terms is deemed a continuing waiver of a term or condition or a waiver of any other term or condition. Any failure of ASCRS to assert a right or provision under these Terms does not constitute a waiver of that right or provision.
22. Severability. If any provision of these Terms is unenforceable under applicable law, the rest of these Terms remain in effect to the extent permitted by applicable law. In addition, as to any provision determined to be unenforceable as written in these Terms, the provision is not void, but rather the parties desire the provision be reformed and enforced by the court to give effect as near as possible to the original intent of the parties, as if originally accepted or agreed to by the parties in that form.
23. Interpretation. Section headings in these Terms are used solely for the convenience of the parties. If there is a conflict between the headings or section numbers and the text of these Terms, the text controls.
24. Notice. Any notice to us must be sent by email to [INSERT]. We may update the means by which notices are to be provided to us either by posting notice in these Terms or by notifying you in care of the email address associated with your account.
26. Entire Agreement. These Terms, including any documents they incorporate by reference, are the entire agreement between you and ASCRS with respect to the subject matter of the Terms, and supersede any prior agreements between you and ASCRS regarding the same subject matter.